Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lactation Boosting Cookies

When I was still breastfeeding my fourth baby(Jye), I went to morning tea with a couple of my breastfeeding friends. We use to get together at least once a week for morning tea – sometimes more, and the usual thing was to bring a plate of something to share. This one particular time, a friend of mine cooked up a batch of lactation boosting cookies as we had been talking about them the previous week. I was curious to know if they worked or not, lots of women have sworn by this recipe.

So I turn up and there is a big plate of these delicious looking cookies. I ate one. Then two. In the end I had about half a dozen! They were soooo yummy. I’d never really had any supply issues before and I had no idea what to expect to be honest, but by evening my breast became so engorged that there is no doubt that these cookies actually do work to boost your milk supply! I have to say I was pretty impressed and a bit embarrassed that I’d eaten so many and it resulted in some big, sore breasts. Jye thought it was great though, he didn’t have to work to hard for the letdown to start gushing out.

I haven’t had to make them for myself, as I still haven’t had any issue supplies, but I have made a few batches for friends to help them out.

So here it is, the recipe for Lactation Boosting Cookies:
* 1 cup butter or marg
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
* 1 cup or more chocolate chips
* 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store.
*NOTE* IT MUST BE BREWERS YEAST, NO SUBSTITUTIONS.

It makes a hell of a lot of cookies, so freeze the dough to use later!


No comments:

Post a Comment