Saturday, June 25, 2011

I love cinnamon buns!

And so does the hubby!! I was inspired to do some baking because let's face it, I barely have time to shave my pits these days. I decided to try making some cinnamon buns in a cake tin, the idea of fussing around making the scroll part didn't appeal to me at all.

I gave this a go but there is a little tweaking I will do next time(there will be more test runs as I want to take this in for morning tea at work later next month).

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups plain flour (I would probably use around 2 cups next time)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp dry yeast
  • 2/3 cup warm milk 
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
Cinnamon mixture

  • 3 tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch ground cardamom

Icing

  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 1-2 tbsp milk
Directions:

Lightly grease a square baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Dissolve the yeast in a measuring cup with the milk, then stir milk mixture, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and egg into the flour mixture. Mix well, until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and let rest for 15 minutes.
While the dough rests, mix together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom in a small bowl using a fork until all the butter has been incorporated into the sugar and mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of rested dough and press the mixture down into the dough with your fingertips.
Place pan into a cold oven, then set the oven temperature to 175C.
Bake for about 30 minutes, until bread is lightly browned at the edges and the center of the bread springs back when lightly pressed. Some of the sugar mixture on top may still be bubbling.
Cool for at least 30 minutes before whisking the powdered sugar and milk together to form an icing and drizzling it onto the bread.

I found that the cinnamon mixture was a bit too much for the amount of bread, but I think I also put in a little too much yeast. I'll have to be a bit more careful next time and see how we go.

It is sweet and buttery and no good for my waistline at all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment